Saturday, September 7, 2013

I held onto his hand. He was holding on tight. He smiled at me. Pearly whites that would light up a room.
"Remember Aruba?" He asked. Tears were forming in his brown eyes.
I smiled. How could I forget?
"We had some good times there didn't we?" He asked.
"Always did." I managed to say.
I looked at our hands. Fingers were laced like always, But this time they were trembling. I couldn't tell if is was me, or him, or both of us. But it didn't matter. The silver ring I wore upon my finger that he gave me when we were so far away from each other was covered in blood,  he wiped it away, and at that time he and I seemed to know.
"Remember the snowstorm in the mountains?" He asked.
This time, the tears were in my eyes. There was no use trying to blink them away now.
"You took my virginity of my, you know...." I smiled.
"You gave it to me." He smiled.
We stared at each other. Our eyes were saying what our mouths weren't. There was a lump in my throat and it was choking me.
"What a way to spend our last day on vacation." He said.
We both smiled again. Our eyes never left each other.
"Are you ready?" He asked. His voice was quiet.
"No." I couldn't lie.
Still holding tight to my hand, and still staring into my eyes, he reached with his other hand and caressed my cheek. I grabbed that hand and kissed his palm. His eyes held mine.
"I love you." He said.
"I love you too." I said.
I never noticed his labored breathing as the light in his eyes began to get dim. I never noticed the crowd that gathered around the scene. I never noticed the witnesses talking with the police.
"I love you". He said one more time, but with emphasis.
But when I opened my mouth to say it back, he smiled. He smiled one last time, on the last day of our vacation. The light in his brown eyes was gone. It was then that I snapped back into reality.
"Ma'am, you are going to have to let the coroner take the body." A voice said to me.
"Huh?" I was still not very coherent.
"Ma'am, you're hurt. You need medical attention."
Although his hands seemed to have turned cold all of a sudden, I could not let them go. Not yet.
I saw a hand move over his face, closing his eyes.
"No!" I shouted. "Not yet!"
I began to sob.
"Ma'am you have to let go."
Someone was gently pulling me away from him. I didn't want to let go. Not yet.
As his hands slowly slid from mine, I could hear someone talking in the background.
"Date of death, December thirty-first, two thousand thirteen. Time of death, twelve fifty-nine."

Gasping, I rose in the bed, frantic and sweaty; My heart pounding out of my chest, I looked over to see the sun falling upon his face as he slept beside me. The relief, the sadness and brokenness still fresh from this terrible vision I had just woke from still fresh in my heart and mind. I felt such an aching and sorrow I could never erase from my soul. Disheveled and now so alert and awake; I reached over to touch him almost in fear that I might feel that same coldness of his death. As the warmth rushed from his body into my hand, and with his eyes opening to meet mine, I realized I could never let him go again.

No comments:

Post a Comment